Anxiety is a normal reaction to stress that can be beneficial in some situations. However, an anxiety disorder involves excessive fear or anxiety and are the most common mental disorders, affecting nearly 30% of adults at some point in their lives. Fortunately, effective treatments for anxiety disorders are available so those affected can lead normal productive lives. In this article, we will explore the different types of anxiety disorders, their symptoms and treatment options available. By understanding more about anxiety disorders and how to get treatment, you can take steps towards leading a healthier life.
Types of Anxiety Disorders
Anxiety disorders are the most common mental health disorder in the United States, and they come in many forms. Here is a list of some of the different types of anxiety disorders that can be addressed through treatment at Rancho Family Medical:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) – this type of anxiety affects an individual’s ability to control worry and fear, often causing them to feel overwhelmed. It can lead to physical symptoms such as restlessness, muscle tension, difficulty concentrating, fatigue, and insomnia.
- Social Anxiety Disorder – Individuals with social anxiety disorder experience intense fear in social situations due to the fear of being judged or embarrassed. They may feel extremely uncomfortable in public or with unfamiliar people, and can struggle to make conversation.
- Panic Disorder – This type of anxiety is characterized by recurrent panic attacks that come on suddenly and unexpectedly, often with physical symptoms such as racing heart, chest pain, shortness of breath and trembling.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) – PTSD is an anxiety disorder that develops after experiencing or witnessing a traumatic event. It can cause sufferers to experience flashbacks, intense fear and avoidance of triggers associated with the event.
- Separation Anxiety Disorder – People with separation anxiety disorder may feel extreme distress or panic in situations where they are separated from a loved one or a place of comfort.
- Specific Phobias – This form of anxiety is related to an irrational fear or aversion to specific objects, situations or activities. Common phobias include fear of heights, closed spaces and certain animals.
Next Steps and Treatment
Self-help techniques such as stress management, meditation, and support groups can be helpful in coping with anxiety. Joining an online or in-person support group provides the chance to discuss experiences and strategies for managing symptoms. Understanding more about your specific disorder can assist you and those around you to gain insight into the condition. To further enhance treatment, limit caffeine intake as this can worsen symptoms. It is also important to check with your doctor regarding any medications that may be prescribed.
At Rancho Family Medical, we understand that anxiety disorders can have a significant impact on your life. We provide comprehensive diagnosis and treatment for anxiety and are committed to helping you find relief from the symptoms so you can live a happier and more fulfilling life.
The first step is to come in for an appointment with one of our Riverside county providers to make sure that there is no physical problem causing the symptoms. If an anxiety disorder is diagnosed, we can refer you to other in-network professionals that will work with you on finding the best treatment plan for your needs. To become a patient of Rancho Family Medical please call us at (951)225-6808.